dough, pillowy soft

jacdac

Lebanese
Her thin irongray hair was pulled back and knotted at the base of her neck, and her dresses were shapeless and black. She would pinch Bethie’s cheeks and call her shayne maidele, and she’d always be baking something sweet when they arrived. She would slip Bethie little bits of dough, pillowy soft and crunchy with sugar, and Bethie would eat them when her mother wasn’t looking.
Source: Mrs Everything by Jennifer-Weiner
Context: Bethie at her Yiddish bubbe’s house.

Does bubbe give Bethie dough and pillowy soft (cookies)? Does she eat the dough unbaked?

Thank you.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    She would slip Bethie little bits of dough,
    She gives Bethie "little bits" of uncooked dough. A little bit is about 1/10th of 1 cookie. Perhaps an amount the size of a pea.

Yes, "dough" means uncooked bakery stuff.

Personally I like eating toll house cookie dough. It tastes more delicious than cooked toll house cookies. I learned that as a child.

In many supermarkets you can purchase pre-mixed "toll house cookie dough". In theory, it's to bake cookies. In practice I think many people eat it, like a sweet. But you don't eat much. You might eat 1 teaspoon of it (1/3 of 1 cookie).

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Does bubbe give Bethie dough and pillowy soft (cookies)?
    No. She gave Bethie dough (little pieces), but not cookies.

"Pillowy soft" is not a standard word for cookies. It is not even a standard adjective for cookies. Most cookies are much too hard to be called "pillowy soft".

kentix

English - U.S.
    Personally, I don't think I'd use pillowy for dough either, but it certainly makes more sense than with cookies.

< Previous | Next >