Dough Vs Pastry?

< Previous | Next >
  • bibliolept

AE, Español
    I'm sure you consulted an online dictionary on this question: What definitions did you find? If you can provide us with the definitions you're familiar with, it would help us explain why you find them confusing.

JamesM

Just a note - you may see the words combined since different types of dough are used for different products:

cookie dough
    pastry dough
    bread dough

I don't know if that might have been the source of your confusion.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Possibly there is an AE/BE difference at play here. In Britain (and here in Australia), pastry also means the raw dough. Usually it is used when you're talking about the dough used in making a flan, tart or pie.

Which doesn't help you much, as it means that "pastry" can mean both the raw mix and the baked goods, while "dough" is always raw.

Here's an example of pastry used in a recipe:

Roll out the pastry while still cold, to the required thickness, on a lightly floured work surface.

This is from Wikipedia:

Pastry is the name given to various kinds of baked goods made from ingredients such as flour, butter, shortening, baking powder or eggs. It may also refer to the dough from which such baked goods are made.

Guilllaume

U.S.A., English
    Dough is the the raw material, you can have all sorts of it.
    - Bread dough
    - Cookie dough

The usage of dough alone also can refer to any type of uncooked baked good, such as pie crust. This should not be confused with cake batter, for you should not say cake dough. You can also use batter as pancake batter. I know these are minute details...I guess we Americans have some weird word uses!;)

A pastry usually referes to many uncatergorized types of baked or fried goodies, usualy with fruit filling.

Hope this helps!:)

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    Possibly there is an AE/BE difference at play here. In Britain (and here in Australia), pastry also means the raw dough. Usually it is used when you're talking about the dough used in making a flan, tart or pie.
    It's used that way in AE too, but only in cookbooks or by people who know a lot about baking. (Though, of course, in the US, 'flan' has a different meaning and isn't made with any sort of dough at all.)

< Previous | Next >