dove cannon

dhchong

Korean
Hi, members!

The following is a line of a charactor in the TV show "modern family" 3rd episode of series 5.

Here what does 'dove cannon' mean ?
It seems that it means some kind of trouble, but I'm not sure......

How many weddings have you been to that have something called a dove cannon?

• suzi br

English / England
    It sounds like a device for ejecting doves into the air, from a cannon of some sort. People sometimes release doves as a sign of love and peace at special events, but NOT from a cannon as far as I know, so I would take that as a joke. It suggests that the wedding is not quite "normal", perhaps that the couple themselves are a bit odd!

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Here what does 'dove cannon' mean ?
    It seems that it means some kind of trouble, but I'm not sure......
    Dove is pronounced /dʌv/ (duhv) and refers to the bird.

A 'dove cannon' is a type of confetti cannon. A confetti cannon is a tube usually between 30 and 100 cm long that is filled with confetti[1]. (In a 'dove cannon', the confetti is in the shape of doves.) The tube has (usually) compressed air in the base, and when the 'cannon' is operated, it sends the confetti into the air - the confetti is then supposed to fall on the bride and groom.

Here's a picture of a hand-held confetti cannon: http://www.newballoonstore.com/file/realballoonstore/ecommerce_sparacoriandoli.gif

[1] There are much bigger ones that are not hand-held and send out very large amounts of confetti or ticker-tape.

suzi br

English / England
    Well, looking at Paul's post it might not be as "odd" as the guy's comments suggested, though he maybe as ignorant as me about these party-planning options! LOL

< Previous | Next >