dove ci dobbiamo incontrare?

• TrentinaNE

USA
    English (American)
    Alfry said:
    how about:
    where are we supposed to meet?

this is the first thing that came to my head :D
    Very good, Alfry! In casual conversation, one would say "supposed to" rather than "must". I would say this if a place has already been designated and I'm trying to determine where that place is. In contrast, Where shall we meet? suggests that we haven't yet decided on a meeting place and I'm trying to solicit ideas.

Elisabetta

You little ripper!

Australian English
    TrentinaNE said:
    Very good, Alfry! In casual conversation, one would say "supposed to" rather than "must". I would say this if a place has already been designated and I'm trying to determine where that place is. In contrast, Where shall we meet? suggests that we haven't yet decided on a meeting place and I'm trying to solicit ideas.

Elisabetta
    I think we need context here to be absolutely certain of the best way to translate this. Admittedly "Where are we supposed to meet" is probably the most common way of saying that, but there are certain situations where "Where must we meet?" can be just as appropriate.

combustion

Italian, Italy
    combustion said:
    In forma colloquiale e' sbagliato:
    "Where we have to meet?"?

Lo so che non ha la costruzione interrogativa, ma mi suonava bene...
    bye comb...
    scusate, avevo dimenticato un punto interrogativo... e forse non sembrava una domanda!
    bye comb...

ElaineG

USA/English
    combustion said:
    In forma colloquiale e' sbagliato
    "Where we have to meet?"

Lo so che non ha la costruzione interrogativa, ma mi suonava bene...
    bye comb...
    Ciao Comb,

Non funziona senza "do" ("where do we have to meet?")

I think all these suggestions are valid and all depend on the situation:

Where do we have to meet? -- sounds like you have to do something, maybe a work appointment or other that you're not looking forward to for some reason.

"Don't forget: tomorrow we have that field trip with that boring professor." "Oh ok; where do we have to meet?"

Where should we meet? -- making plans with a friend or colleague.

"Want to have lunch tomorrow and maybe catch a movie?" "Sounds great, where should we meet?"

"Where shall we meet?" -- same as above, but perhaps a bit more courteous/formal, sounds office-y or first datish to me.

"Would you like to join me for the concert in the park on Sunday?" "I'd like that; where shall we meet?"

"Where are we supposed to meet?" -- a plan has been made already, but you don't remember the details

"Don't forget, you agreed to come shopping for shoes with me tommorrow!" "Oh, yeah...., where are we supposed to meet?"

"Where must we meet?" -- sounds like something important, and serious.

"If we don't get on line at the consulate by noon, we won't get our visas." "You're right; where must we meet?"

Of course, context is everything, but that's what these bring to mind for me.

Talking to a friend or friendly colleague, I would nearly always say: "Where should we meet?" or "Where do you want to meet?"

Alfry

Italian
    TrentinaNE said:

Elisabetta
    enlightening, as always
    Grazie Elisabetta ;)

< Previous | Next >