down the line

Nullass

Russian
Hello,
I am not sure that my understanding of “down the line” in the sentence “Obviously they’d committed these offences and we were some two years down the line I should say which gives you and indication of how professional they were in respect to the robberies” is correct.
My guess is that police’s surveillance continued for 2 years.
Thanks in advance.

• wandle

English - British
    'We were some two years down the line' means 'we had reached a point which was some two years later'.
    Only the context can show whether that refers to two years of surveillance or not.

Nullass

Russian
    Thank you, wandle. The whole phrase is "Obviously they’d committed these offences and we were some two years down the line I should say which gives you and indication of how professional they were in respect to the robberies that they were committing as well because we by that time we had pretty much identified who the individuals that were involved and it was just a matter really of catching them if you like in the act".
    Will it help?

wandle

English - British
    That does suggest it means two years of surveillance.
    I would expect to find further confirmation of that in the preceding sentence, because 'obviously' implies the present sentence is a logical continuation from the preceding one.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "We were two years down the line" = "we had done two years of work" = the type of work is not mentioned but it will be all sorts of police work, not merely limited to surveillance.

To conduct surveillance, the police have to be authorised and that authorisation would only come after investigations had shown a good case against the criminals.

Nullass

Russian
    I see, the preceding sentence is: "It fair to say that the gang had grown in reputation and in size by that time".

Thank you very much, wandle and PaulQ.

< Previous | Next >