down to get down tonight [down?]

< Previous | Next >

JungKim

Korean
The "Good Time" lyrics are here: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/owlcity/goodtime.html
I specifically quote three lines having "down" in it:

Hands up if you're down to get down tonight
I'm in if you're down to get down tonight
Let's hang out if you're down to get down tonight

They all have the same line in common: if you're down to get down tonight

Could you please tell me what the first and second "down" mean?

And what does the entire if-clause mean?

My initial guess was that the first "down" means "decided", but I don't know what "get down" means, but it has to mean something like "have fun". But I have no way of confirming it.

But then I thought that the first "down" might mean "depressed". I guess it all depends on the meaning of "get down".

• heypresto

English - England
    I don't think 'you're down' here means you are sad. I think it means 'you're ready' or 'you want to'. I think the use of 'you're down' is partly to juxtapose with 'Hands up', and then repeat with the second 'down'.

Curiously, what I'm suggesting is that 'If you're down to get down' means 'If you're up to getting down'.

Biffo

English - England
    I don't think 'you're down' here means you are sad. I think it means 'you're ready' or 'you want to'. I think the use of 'you're down' is partly to juxtapose with 'Hands up', and then repeat with the second 'down'.

Curiously, what I'm suggesting is that 'If you're down to get down' means 'If you're up to getting down'.
    Agreed

'If you're down to get down' == "If you're ready to party"

JungKim

Korean
    Agreed

'If you're down to get down' == "If you're ready to party"
    Wow, so my first guess turns out to be not too off. :D
    Now, here's a couple follow-up questions:
    (1) Is the first "down" the same as in the following case?: "Yeah, I'm down with that," meaning "Yeah, I agree with that."
    (2) Is the usage of "get down" common in ordinary, everyday, informal context?
    (3) If so, how come I couldn't find it in dictionaries. The most close one was "informal: to play music or dance with skill and enthusiasm", which is not exactly "to party".
    Thanks!

Man_from_India

India
    Wow, so my first guess turns out to be not too off. :D
    Now, here's a couple follow-up questions:
    (1) Is the first "down" the same as in the following case?: "Yeah, I'm down with that," meaning "Yeah, I agree with that."
    (2) Is the usage of "get down" common in ordinary, everyday, informal context?
    (3) If so, how come I couldn't find it in dictionaries. The most close one was "informal: to play music or dance with skill and enthusiasm", which is not exactly "to party".
    Thanks!
    Yes the answer of your (1) question is yes.
    But "I am down with that" doesn't necessarily mean "I agree with that", depending on the context it also might mean "I am upset with it."
    Native speakers please correct me if I am wrong.

< Previous | Next >