downfall / asset

< Previous | Next >

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Background:
Suppose there's an egoistic guy who thinks he's a major asset to the company and it can't survive and thrive without him. But that's not entirely true, at least for his coworkers. In their eyes, his ego always gets in the way of their hard work and his terrible habit of stirring up trouble makes it impossible to work with him as a team.

During tea break, a few of his co-workers huddle together complaining about him out of his earshot. One of them says "He thinks he's a major asset to the company, but when a lot of times he's one of the major downfalls to the company."

Hi native speakers,
does "major downfall" work well as the opposite of "major asset"?

• redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you for the suggestions, Florentia52. My original doesn't work in the context. But I'm curious, does "he's one of the major downfalls to the company." make any sense at all if I want to say "he's one of the causes of the downfall of the company"?

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I would probably say "He was one of the causes of the company's downfall," because the company's downfall (its bankruptcy, for example) has already happened. But yes, "downfall" makes sense in that context.

< Previous | Next >