drafted by a pro football team

jacdac

Lebanese
Clarence is a big fan of Buford Kissdrivel and Wyatt the Homicidal Bag-Boy. He wants to talk to you, my friend. And I have no interest in having a pissed-off two-hundred-and-fifty-pound saxophone player who was once almost drafted by a pro football team running amok in my studio.’
‘I don’t think he has a history of running amok,’ Rich said. ‘I mean, we’re talking Clarence Clemons here, not Keith Moon.’
Source: It by Stephen King

This conversation is taking place between Rich, a DJ at KLAD radio station and his director Steve. Ritch wanted to take a powder and Steve is reminding him of his scheduled engagement to interview Clarence, a saxophone player.

What does the bolded expression mean? Was the saxophone player selected to play saxophone for professional football team ceremony?

Thank you.

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Was the saxophone player selected to play saxophone for professional football team ceremony?
    No, he was almost selected (note that it says "almost drafted," not "drafted") to play professional football. You'll find more information in the Wikipedia article about the NFL draft.

For comparison, here's an actual 250-pound football player.

fiercediva

American English
    King is referring to the real life Clarence Clemons, the 6' 5" sax player in Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band, in his fiction.

Clemens attended college on a football scholarship and was scouted by the Dallas Cowboys and Cleveland Browns.

< Previous | Next >