drag a rock

jacdac

Lebanese
Matt looked much better, rejuvenated, almost. Susan was sitting by his bed in a bright blue dress, and Matt raised a hand in salute when Ben walked in. ‘Drag up a rock.’ Ben pulled over one of the hideously uncomfortable hospital chairs and sat down. ‘How you feeling?’
‘A lot better. Weak, but better. They took the I. V. out of my arm last night and gave me a poached egg for breakfast this morning. Gag. Previews of the old folks home.’

Source: Salem's Lot by Stephen King

Context: This scene is taking place in (at?) the hoistal. Matt, local English teacher, had hospitalised for minor league heat attack. Ben, a new resident to the town, was also hospitalised after he was assaulted by Suzan's ex boyfriend. On this Sunday morning of this scene, Ben went up to Matt for a catch up chat.

What does drag a rock mean?

Pre Post: I looked up for the fixed expression and found nothing. It seems to be a metaphorical expression to be strong enough to drag a rock, I guess. Is this a common expression though?

Thank you.

• heypresto

English - England
    The natural idiom would be 'pull up a chair', meaning 'bring a chair over here and sit down.'

Here, because the chairs were hard and uncomfortable he's referring to them as 'rocks', and using 'drag' as an appropriate verb.

< Previous | Next >