Drag along / bring along

jexrry_nam

Cantonese
Dear all,

I'm currently writing a concept about increasing revenue in a restaurant and there is something I can't seem to express it well.

Example:

'we decided to set children as our target market since children will drag / bring their parents along if they like it there'

What I'm trying to say is that if children like the food in a restaurant, they must ask their parents to go there so this is my strategy. attract the kids, and let them convince their parents. but i dont know how to express it better.

Could anyone help me pls?

Thanks

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello, jexrry_nam. :)

If you use 'drag' you give the impression that the parents are unwilling to come (and their children are badly behaved).

If you use 'bring', it sounds more cheerful -- as though everyone wants to go.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I guess:
    get their parents to come along
    get their parents to come with them
    get their parents to go (to the restaurant)

Cagey

English - US
    Yes, 'bring along' is the correct choice. This sentence looks fine to me.

We decided to set children as our target market since children will bring their parents along if they like it there.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think the parents bring their children (along) to a restaurant, and not vice-versa.

Maybe these children have driver's licenses. Otherwise they are walking their parents to said restaurant.

Cagey

English - US
    In a literal sense, parents do bring the children.
    In the sense being used in the sentence, children are expected to motivate their parents to go, and in that sense they 'bring' their parents.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    In that case, it's better if they drag their parents to the restaurant. It's stronger. :)

The idiom is stronger.

Alternative scenario, do the children:
    A) bring their parents to Disneyland
    B) drag their parents to Disneyland

You be the judge.

< Previous | Next >