drag

youngbuts

korean
Hello, everyone.

I've been being confused with the verb 'drag'. Would you take a look at the setences below?

1.I dragged her to the party.
2.I dragged her to go to the party.
3.I dragged her to go with me to places she hates.
4.The plan was to drag her to go spying with her best friend.

I assume the sentence #1 is acceptable to native speakers. But, about #2 to #4, I'm not sure.

As to #2, what is the subject of the infinitive 'to go to the party'? Is it 'I' or 'her'? Or are both possible?

And could #3 and #4 make a sense to native speakers? If not, would you correct them to sound better(Should I say 'to make sound better' here?)

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • youngbuts

korean
    Have you told me we can not use the verb 'bring' for human?
    What I had in mind in the first place was kind of force, but I wished the verb could include a nuance of action. The verb 'force' seemed to be something abstract and the verb 'bring' seemed netural to me. So I seem to have chosen 'drag', because the equivalent in first language to it can be used for human and non-human. But, It does not mean I dragged her physically. It implies she did not want to go to the party much but I persuade her and took her to the party, something like that...
    Now I have a little bit sensed why the sentences above are wrong. Thank you, Beryl.

Last edited:

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Yes, I suppose you can use 'drag' to imply that the girl was brought to the party though was reluctant to attend. We usually say 'she was dragged kicking and screaming to the ...'.

< Previous | Next >