drain on the bottom line

MATHIAS80

ITALIAN - ITALY
Hi everybody,

I was wondering the exact meaning of the sentence "drain on the bottom line". I guess it means "something not really important or to take care of" but I do not really get the image.
Some context:

"It’s a drain on the bottom line even when times are good, but it also leaves companies less prepared for capital constraints prompted by external events such as the recent swoon in oil prices"

"Security is still seen in some quarters as a short-term function, secondary to others and essentially a drain on the bottom line".

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

• Wanaka

Italian
    Ciao Mathias,
    La bottom line è normalmente l'utile netto di un'azienda (l'ultima riga di un conto/bilancio) - un "drain" potrebbe essere visto figurativamente come una falla, un foro da cui fuoriesce utile ... ti aiuta? :)

MR1492

English -USA
    I think johngiovanni's explanation is quite good. Something to remember is that a "drain on the bottom line" isn't a one-time mistake but something which costs a company money over time. It is a continuous outflow of money which does not result in a positive gain to the company.

Phil

MATHIAS80

ITALIAN - ITALY
    Thanks everybody, now I better get the meaning of the sentence.
    I will go with Johngiovanni's and Wanaka's explainations
    MATHIAS80

Bookmom

Something to remember is that a "drain on the bottom line" isn't a one-time mistake but something which costs a company money over time. It is a continuous outflow of money which does not result in a positive gain to the company. :thumbsup:

Phil[/QUOTE]

Important point, Phil. The continuous nature of the waste is the distinguishing factor between a drain on the bottom line and other sorts of losses. The expression "money down the drain" comes to mind in this context.

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Concordo con "salasso finanziario" di Alicip, che esprime il concetto di "ciucciare con costanza irrefrenabile risorse fino ad esaurirle"
    a. To cause (a resource or supply of something) to be used up gradually and often completely. See Synonyms at deplete.
    ( The Free Dictionary)

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Un 'salasso finanziario' si riferisce alla posizione finanziaria di una azienda - p. es. va in scadenza un grosso debito.

A 'drain on the bottom line' is a constant leak from the P & L ( Profit and Loss account ) , quello che in Italia si chiama il conto economico.

Forse un 'peso sui risultati aziendali'.

< Previous | Next >