drain pipe broken /torn

< Previous | Next >

dumbfounded

persian
Drain pipe in kitchen is leaking. So what should I say?
Drain pipe is broken/torn that is why its leaking.

• Kwistax

français - Belgique
    it depends if it's broken or torn, or twisted to the point that it leaks. All these possibilities depend on the actual type of damage that led to the leaking of the pipe.

dumbfounded

persian
    Like torn for what kind of pipe? I think for plastic it might be broken.
    Or broken means into pieces or torn means cut.
    If you can eloborate it please?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Torn does not mean cut.

We usually tear something that is thin and flat - paper, cloth, etc.

Broken means either (i) not working: "My watch is broken" (ii) No longer in one piece: "The cup fell to the floor an now it is broken." In the case of a pipe being broken, we would expect the pipe to have a crack or hole in it.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    We use broken, not "torn", in reference to the rigid material used for a pipe. "Torn" is restricted to materials that can be ripped apart by hand, such as fabric or paper.

Linkway

British English
    The kitchen sink waste pipe is broken/damaged/split/cracked/leaking.

"Drain pipe" usually means an EXTERNAL pipe that runs from the roof of the building to the ground to carry away surface water (rain).

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The kitchen sink waste pipe is broken/damaged/split/cracked/leaking.

"Drain pipe" usually means an EXTERNAL pipe that runs from the roof of the building to the ground to carry away surface water (rain).
    That's so in BE. In AE, the pipe under the sink that carries away the water that goes down the drain is a drainpipe. The external conduit that leads from the roof to the underground drainage is a downspout.

< Previous | Next >