draw on your progress

then

chinese
hello everyone:
I read this on the Internet " Instead of being repressed, the right of people to assemble together must now be fully respected; Instead of being stifled, the veil of media censorship must continue to be lifted. As you take these steps, you can draw on your progress." what does "you can draw on your progress" mean?
Thank you in advance!

• dreamlike

Polish
    Hi, Then.

It is only when you have provided the source of this fragment that we will be able to freely comment on it.

Last edited:

then

chinese
    Sorry I can't find the source I only know this fragment is from president Obama's speech.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    to draw on something = to take advantage of something; to use experience of something;

"The car's engine had stopped, but he got out, looked under the bonnet [AE = hood] and, drawing on his knowledge as an engineer, he fixed the problem."

It is probably figurative from the idea of drawing money out of your bank account - i.e. taking what you have saved.

then

chinese
    Thanks a million!
    to draw on something = to take advantage of something; to use experience of something;

"The car's engine had stopped, but he got out, looked under the bonnet [AE = hood] and, drawing on his knowledge as an engineer, he fixed the problem."

It is probably figurative from the idea of drawing money out of your bank account - i.e. taking what you have saved.

< Previous | Next >