Draw on

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I was learning the usage of idiom "draw on" but I didn't understand the meaning of number 3 please explain.
    The example is a very bad example - it is not natural or idiomatic at all and sounds 200 years out of date.

To draw on (of clothes) means to put on but with the nuance of "tightly" or "pulling": "He drew his boots/gloves on". It is probably more common as "draw off" - to take something (usually clothes) off by pulling it.

sound shift

English - England
    Ok let me guess does it mean. Put on is wearing.
    It's not, actually. "I was putting on my coat" is not the same as "I was wearing my coat".
    put on:
    • to clothe oneself in: [~ + object + on]Put your clothes on.[~ + on + object]Put on your clothes.
    wear /wɛr/USA pronunciation v., wore/wɔr/USA pronunciation worn/wɔrn/USA pronunciation wear•ing, n.
    v.
    1. to have on the body as clothing, covering, or ornament:[~ + object]He wore his best suit to the funeral. She's wearing my ring on her finger.
    (WordReference Random House Learner's Dictionary of American English in both cases)

Barque

Tamil
    Put on is wearing.
    No. "Wearing" is a continuous process. It applies to the entire time you have clothes on your body.
    "Putting on" refers to the action of getting clothes onto your body. Once you finish putting clothes on, you are wearing them. Then, after wearing them for some time, you take them off (the opposite of "put on").
    An article of clothing not so clear?
    Have you looked up "article" in the dictionary?

< Previous | Next >