draw out, extract

economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
I extract from what you've wrote that I should do ....
I draw out from what you've wrote that I should do.......
Which is correct and is commonly in used the first word or the second one?
Clarification:
Someone send me something from which I got to know that I should do something.

• dwipper

U.S. English
    I don't think that either is common, but extract is better than draw out. I'd be more likely to say take, gather, or even just draw.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    On the other hand, whereas I also like sound shift's version, I see nothing wrong with "I take what you've wrote written to mean that I should do....."

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/take?q=take 4. (take it) [with clause] assume: I take it that someone is coming to meet you

but also:
    4. understand or accept as valid: I take your point

economistegypt2010

Arabic, العربية
    Is it the word take in the below example means that something like (Extract). I don't want to say that I assume, I want to say something like (extract,excerpt, abstract from)
    On the other hand, whereas I also like sound shift's version, I see nothing wrong with "I take what you've wrote written to mean that I should do....."

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/take?q=take 4. (take it) [with clause] assume: I take it that someone is coming to meet you

but also:
    4. understand or accept as valid: I take your point

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I think you can use "extract" in this sense e.g. "I can/am able to extract no meaning at all from your essay."

The above is an expression of disapproval and somewhat insulting.

Note
    (i) the use of can/am able to.
    (ii) you have to extract something - i.e. there has to be a clear direct object.
    (iii) You extract something from something.
    (iv) extract, used in this sense, is similar to having a tooth extracted - it is painful and done with difficulty.

However, applying this formula to, "I extract from what you've written that I should do ..." results in a poor style of English.

< Previous | Next >