draw out

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
Hi, everyone

I watched "Family Guy (an American sitcom) and I saw a phrasal verb that I am struggling with now. The phrasal verb is draw out.
I looked it up on internet, but none of its meanings seem to fit in the sentence I came across when I was watching Family Guy.

Here is the context:

There is a family with five people and one talking dog: the dad, the mother and three kids... One of these kids (Meg) is always being mocked and being called derogatory names by everyone , including their parents.

So, at the end of this episode, the father(Peter) says:

Peter: What did you do this week, Meg?
Meg: What, so you can make fun of me?
Peter: No, Meg. I am your father, and I am interested in what my daughter did this week.
Meg: You promise you are not make fun of me?
Peter: Of course, I care about my family
Meg: I feel like you are drawing this out, so when you do make fun of me, it will hurt more.

Could you help me and tell me what "draw this out" means in that sentence?

Thank you

• Franco-filly

English - Southern England
    • It means to make it more long-winded than necessary. This is the WO definition of draw out: to stretch out the time of; lengthen: [~ + out + object]They told me to draw out my speech for as long as possible.[~ + object + out]I drew it out for as long as I could.

Gabriel Malheiros

Portuguese - Brazil
    • It means to make it more long-winded than necessary. This is the WO definition of draw out: to stretch out the time of; lengthen: [~ + out + object]They told me to draw out my speech for as long as possible.[~ + object + out]I drew it out for as long as I could.
    Yes, I saw this definition. But I wasn't able to figure out how this meaning of draw out fit into the scene I described :(

< Previous | Next >