draw someone on something

WesołaBiedronka

Polish
While others think on their feet, Ms Mallet does her re-thinking on the run. She will resort to anything to ensure things run smoothly, but no amount of persuasion would draw her on what she did to resolve the situation when one European hotel let other people book into the rooms intended for her musicians, while the concert was in progress.

I don't understand what does it mean and I'm not able to guess from the context. My first guess was "to prepare" or "to persuade" but these make no sense.

• WesołaBiedronka

Polish
    CAE Practice Tests Plus 2 by Nick kenny and Peter Sunderland. Test 1 paper 1. When I first read it I thought I understood everything but upon closer inspection it turns out I'm not too sure what is meant here.

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    "...would make her tell* what she did..."
    *Or perhaps "persuade her to tell", as you suggest (="would succeed in making her tell"). I'd say we could use "could" for "would", too.

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    I would expect it to say "draw her out".

Edit: Fixed autocorrect problem. her -> say

Last edited:

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I would expect it to her "draw her out".
    I see it as "no amount of persusion would draw her (out) on (the subject of) what she did to resolve the situation..."
    So the verb is "to draw (out)" -- I've seen it both with and without "out" -- meaning "to elicit", and "on" refers to what the information sought was.

< Previous | Next >