"draw something out of someone"

carolmoraiss

Portuguese
Hi, folks!

I'm reading "Second Life", by S. J. Watson. Could you please help me figure out what this expression in bold means:

"Lukas is drawing it out of me, bit by bit he's making me feel safe, moment by moment encouraging abandonment. He coaxes out of my fantasies and they're unfurling in front of him." p. 168.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    To draw out -> to extract, from a restricted or tight space, by means of a constant, gentle yet powerful force. (Used literally and figuratively. When used literally, the thing that is "drawn out" is usually long and thin.)

carolmoraiss

Portuguese
    I see. But they're talking on the phone and they haven't reached phone sex yet...
    So could I say: "he's extracting everything from me" or something like that, PaulQ?
    And thanks for your reply!

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    You might be able to... it depends what the "it" in "Lukas is drawing it out of me" is. If it is, e.g., a feeling, you could say, "he's eliciting everything from me" or "He is bringing it all out from me."

carolmoraiss

Portuguese
    Yeah, it could be. The text doesn't say what exactly he's drawing out, what this "it" means... It could be some sort of awakening... He's awakening everything in me...

Packard

USA, English
    "Evoke" might also work, though its meaning is pretty much the same as "awakening" in this context.

< Previous | Next >