drawn a jog in the line

< Previous | Next >

amateurr

Russian
Could you tell me what "jog" means in this context?

"Someone had drawn a jog in the line for the school district, and we wound up in school with the rich kids."

• Gwan

New Zealand, English
    I can't quite think how to explain this clearly... Imagine someone is drawing a straight line and then their hand shakes and the line jumps a little bit and then goes back to straight. The part where it jumped would be the jog, in this context.

So if a school district would normally cover a certain area - in this example, the wealthy part of town - for some reason a small part of another area - a less wealthy part of town - has been included in the school district. Thus the children from the poorer part end up at the same schol as the rich kids.

Hope that makes some sort of sense... if only I could draw you a picture :)

Lagrangepoint

English (UK)
    Jog in this context could mean "an abrupt change in direction, a veering off". In the context; a sudden change in the school district boundary (on the map).

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    From the OED.
    2. A right-angled notch, recess, or step, in a surface; any space cut out by such a notch. U.S.
    ‘In the States, jog is used to signify any deviation from a straight line or even surface’ (Farmer Americanisms, 1889).

< Previous | Next >