drawn position (chess)

Seeda

Banned
法语 / French (FR)
In chess they say a position is drawn when neither side can win it assuming they don't make mistakes. The game should end in a draw. I can't seem to find a German adjective to convey this meaning. Eine remisierte Stellung? To put it in a sentence, 'Each side has just a rook and bishop left, so the position should be drawn'.

• Frank78

German
    In chess they say a position is drawn when neither side can win it assuming they don't make mistakes. The game should end in a draw. I can't seem to find a German adjective to convey this meaning. Eine remisierte Stellung? To put it in a sentence, 'Each side has just a rook and bishop left, so the position should be drawn'.
    I would say "tote Stellung" or "Remisstellung".

"Remisiert" is a verb as far as I know, e.g. "Kasparov remisierte Karpov".

perpend

Banned
    American English
    It seems like Frank solved the problem. I spent some time on Wikipedia site, to see what other terms may exist.

I found this one (toward the bottom of the link): Remisschaukel
    Remisschaukel: Die Herbeiführung einer Stellung, in der eine Seite ein Remis durch Dauerschach oder Zugwiederholung erzwingen kann, ohne die sie aufgrund des gegnerischen materiellen oder positionellen Vorteils verloren wäre und die oftmals als letzte Rettung vor der drohenden Niederlage gesehen werden kann.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schachkomposition

I have to say that I don't quite fully understand, but it sounds related to the point in the game when this can occur. And with that, I recommend that chess reduce the number of terms they use. :D

Seeda

Banned
    法语 / French (FR)
    Remisstellung is probably the right word.
    Tote Stellung sounds more like 'dead' or 'dead-drawn position'. That's a bit different more specific as it implies that the game will end in a tie no matter what either side plays, as when there are only kings left on the board. Some drawn positions require very accurate play to actually be drawn.

Frank78

German
    Tote Stellung sounds more like 'dead' or 'dead-drawn position'. That's a bit different more specific as it implies that the game will end in a tie no matter what either side plays, as when there are only kings left on the board. Some drawn positions require very accurate play to actually be drawn.
    Yes, "tote Stellung" will definitely end in a draw, no matter how good or bad you play, but it's also possible with more pieces on the board.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tote_Stellung

< Previous | Next >