Dreaded lurgy

• bartonig

UK English
    Yes. It generally means one of those ill-defined colds that get you down. Incidently, there's probably no agreed spelling for the word.

bartonig

UK English
    The adjective dreaded means to be feared (because of the inconvenience and discomfort the lerghie brings).

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I haven't heard anyone use the phrase in years.
    I associate it - rightly or wrongly - with The Goon Show from the BBC of years ago.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Brilliant memory, maxiogee. The OED is a truly wonderful institution, for it has had the immense gravitas to include this word:
    Usu. in phr. the dreaded lurgy. A fictitious, highly infectious disease invented (?) and made a byword by the Radio Goons
    As indicated above, the phrase pops up among those of the appropriate generation to refer to any unpleasant disease ranging from the kind of severe cold that afflicts only men, through any kind of flux, to the morning-after-the-night-before malaise.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    Sorry, OED stands for Oxford English Dictionary. The largest and most comprehensive dictionary of English in the world.
    Panj

PS We don't do Italian translations on the English-Only forum - but there is no translation for dreaded lurgy. There may be some equivalent, but you would need to ask on the Italian forum.

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    I always thought of it as "lergy", it being something I never saw written down, but only heard - however, it was always dreaded!

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    cuchuflete said:
    A possible AE equivalent: the creeping cruds

If that's in the OED, I'm a monkey's uncle.

Ooooops, sorry Nephew Panj!
    Read this and weep:
    b. A real or imaginary disease. slang (orig. U.S. Army).
    1945 Reader's Digest Apr. 109 We also have what the men call ‘crud’, a skin outbreak like ringworm. 1945 Time 13 Aug. 76 Jungle rot; New Guinea crud; the creeping crud: GI names for any and every kind of skin disease.
    OED
    Well, OK, so this is the singular version:p

< Previous | Next >