dream book, book of dream interpretations, dream dictionary

Encolpius

Hungarian
Good morning ladies & gentlemen, this question of mine is rather cultural. I think. But I am searching for an English word so I am asking here. Here in Central Europe and I think in Russia, too, people used to be superstitious and believed in dream interpretation so they wrote books made up of words in alphabetical order with the meaning of the word you saw in your dream (like money, feces, child, etc) and its interpretations. We have own specific words for that book what everybody understands and what's more you can find the word in one-language dictionaries. Have you got books like that and what do you call it? Dictionaries say:
1/ dream book
2/ book of dreams
3/ dream dictionary (e.g. here you can read)
4/ uncommon in UK-USA, so no specific word.
5/ something else
Thank you for your cooperation in advance.
E.

• Chez

English English
    The comment at no.4 is correct, but I would call it:

a book of dream interpretations
    a book for interpreting dreams

Or if it was a book title, simply: Dream Interpretations: Interpreting Dreams

Everyone would then understand what it was. If you said 'dream book' or 'book of dreams' I would think it was a book where you wrote down dreams you have had.

The Newt

English - US
    Exactly which meaning? Post 1 or 2?

"Books made up of words in alphabetical order with the meaning of the word you saw in your dream (like money, feces, child, etc) and its interpretations." The "interpretations" are typically a number to be used to gamble with.

Encolpius

Hungarian
    Yes, I think the difference is it is common here but uncommon in Western countries. Maybe you learned something new here, right? :)

london calling

UK English
    Just for the record. Amazon sells dream books. Here are some titles:

The Dream Interpretation Dictionary: Symbols, Signs, and Meanings
    The Dream Interpretation Handbook: A Guide and Dictionary to Unlock the Meanings of Your Dreams
    Dreamer's Dictionary

Encolpius

Hungarian
    I have just checked Websters dictionary (it is not in Oxford Dictionary [I seldom check Webster]) and Webster says:

dream book
    a book claiming to interpret the significance of dreams especially as omens of the future

Myridon

English - US
    You used to be able to buy "dream books" on street corners in the poorer parts of the city, and I wouldn't be surprised if you still can.
    You can't even buy books on street corners here. I suspect that the presence of a large "Chinatown" is a good part of the difference and a long history of people participating in numbers games.

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Out of context, I would call this some combination of "dream" plus " interpretation" plus "book."

I did not know that "dream books" were a thing among some American cultural groups. I do know that fortune tellers are huge in parts of NYC and boroughs.

I've read pretty much all of Freud, so I tend to think of him first when "the interpretation of dreams" is mentioned. But obviously that's an entirely different direction irrelevant here!

Myridon

English - US
    This one ~ by an American gentleman ~ can be bought in pretty much any UK bookshop:
    ... because no one here will buy it.
    A) Gustavus Hindman Miller died in 1929.
    B) It's a normal book of dream interpretation of the "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" sort not the "if you dream about trains, bet on 27" sort.

A random quote from a similar book by the same author:
    To dream of seeing your muscle well developed, you will have strange
    encounters with enemies, but you will succeed in surmounting their evil works,
    and gain fortune.
    http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/926/pg926.txt

Myridon

English - US
    It's widely available (fairly cheap!) in the UK.
    ... because no one in the US will buy it. I'm not sure what "widely available" means. Amazon.com shows two dealers with one new copy each. It doesn't carry the book itself nor does b-n.com (Barnes and Noble - the only big bookstore chain left in the US).

Sorry if the rest was confusing. You made the mistake of actually replying to the original post. ;)

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    There's this new thing called a "joke" - have you heard of it?
    "Widely available" suggests that it's by the cash register at Tesco's or that they have a stack of them in every bookstore. As I added perhaps too late, there are basically only used copies available from Amazon.