Dream of/about

Josefina

Argentina- Spanish,English
Hello Forum! I wanted to know if there is any difference between using Of or About with Dream. Is it the same as Think of/about? Thank you for your help!

• Dale Dolores

Native: English
    I think that you can use either "of" or "about". However there are times when neither "of" or "about" is used: Last night I dreamt/dreamed that I was in a car accident". "I dreamt/dreamed I fell out of the window".

hormiguita

San Diego, Calif. (English)
    "To dream of" - is always about something happy.
    "To dream about" - is not necessarily so.

Dale Dolores

Native: English
    I wouldn't say "dreamt of" always refers to something happy. It's possible to say "I dreamt of being hit by a car". I dreamt I was hit by a car is also correct.

fleuriste-du-mal

US - English
    Well, I don't know if it's a rule or not but Hormiguita has a point.

The trouble might be with dreams. There are actually dreams while we sleep, but also dreams that are hopes, aspirations. "Dreams of stardom" Those dreams, always formulated with "of," are happy. If someone were to "dream of torture" it would only be in that he would enjoy it.

I think with actual dreams it's generally more current, at least in the US, to use 'about,' though 'of' is certainly not wrong.

There's also a difference in the focus. "I dreamt about you last night" means you were the focus of my dream. "I dreamt of fields of mimosa" just means they were an image in my dream.

When in doubt, as joylolade suggests, avoid it altogether, and write "I dreamt I was hit by a car."

I've always enjoyed the choice in English between "dreamed" and "dreamt" in that they're pronounced so differently and so the choice gets to be mainly a musical one.

hormiguita

San Diego, Calif. (English)
    People wouldn't say "I dreamed of being hit by a car".
    I don't really know about the usage of the word "dreamt". I personally don't use it. Is it more commonly used in Britain?

Josefina

Argentina- Spanish,English
    hormiguita said:
    People wouldn't say "I dreamed of being hit by a car".
    I don't really know about the usage of the word "dreamt". I personally don't use it. Is it more commonly used in Britain?

I want to thank you all for helping me! In BrE they say "dreamt", the same happens with "learn" in US they say "learned" in UK, "learnt". Jose :D