Dreamt of fishes.

csicska

hungarian
Hello. On a website (hbcusports.com) dealing with sayings people heard from their parents/grandparents/other older people there was a saying "dreamt of fishes". Do you please know what it could mean? I searched the internet and only found things about dreams with fishes considered as a sign of pregnancy for the dreamer or someone close to them.

So maybe the meaning could be...

-Dreamt of fishes.
-Oh my God. You're pregnant? I'm so happy for you!

Thank you.

• suzi br

English / England
    Is this an English site about dreams? It might be about a different culture.

Or plain hokum, as most “dream-interpretation” sites are. ;)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The site appears to be devoted entirely to sports, not to old sayings. Whereabouts on that site did you find this, csicksa?

csicska

hungarian
    Thank you. No, unfortunately none of the posters explained the meaning as it seemed to be understood by the others. :(
    The website (Historically black colleges and universities HBCUs in the USA) has a forum and I believe the posters are mostly of an African-American origin and I found on the internet that there's a superstition in Africa that if you dream of fish, you or someone close to you is pregnant so I thought that African-American families and some other families in USA use this. That was the only meaning I was able to get out of the saying.

The exact link is: Sayings that Old Folks Say...LMAO!!

suzi br

English / England
    Well there’s your answer: Culturally specific.
    Of fleeting interest, perhaps, but not something I’d spend ages researching. ;)

< Previous | Next >