drench

Status
Not open for further replies.

AramHan

Spanish -Argentina
Hi! Can somebody tell em if it's okay to use "drench" in this context; "She angrily stood up, and drenched her drink at the woman." Because it sounds a little bit odd to me... :/
Thanks in advance!

• rawfrijoles

VA
    USA, English
    "Drench" can't take an indirect object. You can't drench a drink at someone. It'd be better to say:

"She stood up angrily and drenched the woman with her drink."

AramHan

Spanish -Argentina
    Hmph, no, I think I need a word more like "she threw her drink at the woman" --but that sounds as if she was throwing the whole glass, right?

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I think I might say she stood up and angrily tossed her drink in the woman's face.

Flung and threw her drink works really well, too, but I would definitely add "in the woman's face."

Last edited:

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I think I see now that you want to express especially the woman's clothing got really wet. Then you wouldn't say she threw her drink into the woman's face. You'd write it in such a way that you emptied the drink all over the woman and soaked her dress.

We've given you plenty of verbs to choose from for this. However, the action of flinging and throwing usually sends the liquid into the air and it would land haphazardly on the woman. If you really want to get the dress wet, I'd say you poured your drink down the front of her dress or all over the woman or on the woman. That action would definitely soak the dress in front, which is what I think your objective is.

edit:
    Just saw your post, Panj. Yes, I agree with you, as I just wrote. I see now the intent was to make sure the dress got soaked, not just the indignity of getting a bunch of booze thrown in the face.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >