Dress for a physical examination

LukasGER

German
Hi everyone!

What do you call this long dress which is used for physical examinations and is usually open at the back?

• Egmont

English - U.S.

Myridon

English - US
    Check out the first line of this Wikepedia page, follow its first and/or second references, or do a Web search for "hospital johnny" (without the quotation marks). Perhaps I've spent more time in U.S. hospitals than the average person, but it's common terminology there.
    The first reference is Canadian. The second is for nursing students. Both sources feel the need to introduce the term and put it in scare quotes.
    Aside from being in the hospital several times and visiting others many times, I've watched thousands of hours of medical TV shows (both real and fictional) and I can't remember hearing it.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    The first reference is Canadian. The second is for nursing students. Both sources feel the need to introduce the term and put it in scare quotes.
    Aside from being in the hospital several times and visiting others many times, I've watched thousands of hours of medical TV shows (both real and fictional) and I can't remember hearing it.
    I don't think we'll ever reach global agreement on this, but my wife was asked to put one on, by that term, yesterday by a relatively well-known (in his field) doc in one of Boston's major teaching hospitals.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I don't think we'll ever reach global agreement on this, but my wife was asked to put one on, by that term, yesterday by a relatively well-known (in his field) doc in one of Boston's major teaching hospitals.
    Probably not.

I have actually worn one of these on a number of occasions recently and it's always been referred to in terms of changing into "a gown".

It may be that this is the term always used in BE, for the reasons Rover has given (post #5). ;)

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English

You little ripper!

Australian English
    The Collins dictionary that Rover linked to, says:

Johnny definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

US
    a short muslin gown with short sleeves and a back opening that is closed with ties, worn as by hospital patients

The Dictionary of American Regional English:

johnny

4 also johnny coat; also sp johnnie: A hospital gown. esp NEng

1922 Amer. Prison Assoc. Proc. 18 MA, Under the state use system of prison industries there is variety,—bathing suits for the public beaches . . , dresses for the insane, hospital johnnies, [etc]. 1948 Woodbury John Goffe’s Mill 200 NH, As always at a hospital they stripped him, got him into a hospital “Johnnie,” one of those peculiar bobtailed garments they reserve for the weakened, and put him to bed. ..................................

Last edited:

Egmont

English - U.S.
    Regarding "johnny:" I took this photo yesterday in another major Boston-area teaching hospital. Apparently the people who wrote the signs saw no need to explain what a johnny is. (Apparently they also find it acceptable to toss them on the floor to the right of the blue receptacle, but that's another topic.)

IMG_0264.JPG

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I agree with DonnyB and GWB: I've always heard it called a gown.

Mis-typing corrected.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    You need to click on the link, tittiugo. It takes you to Collins English Dictionary, and the following definition for johnny (BrE): a slang word for condom

Using the word to mean "hospital gown" could confuse Brits.

< Previous | Next >