drew the Great Britain closer to India

< Previous | Next >

keramus

Persian
Hello everyone

I want to talk about history:
Conquering Egypt drew the Great Britain closer to India.
As you all know, India was a colony of the Great Britain. The British had difficulty reaching India but after conquering Egypt , they had easier access to India.

Does the highlighted part sound correct in this context?

Please tell me your opinion.

• Uncle Jack

British English
    It is fine except for "the", although people might not read it in the way you meant. Great Britain never has an article (unlike the United Kingdom), and "draw closer" suggests they became closer aligned or had a greater affinity for each other, not that India became easier for Britain to control or conquer.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    From th language point of view, not necessarily the factual, we don't use the article with Great Britain.
    ..drew the Great Britain closer to India.
    I also don't like the use of 'drew'. But that would be another question.
    What is the source of this sentence?

keramus

Persian
    What is the source of this sentence?
    Let me tell you about myself. I love talking about history in English. While I was watching a documentary about the Ottoman empire, a sentence in my native language captured my attention.
    I want to say conquering Egypt made it easier for Great Britain to control India thanks to the Suez Canal.
    What is your opinion about the highlighted part?

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    I want to say conquering Egypt made it easier for Great Britain to control India thanks to the Suez Canal.
    What is your opinion about the highlighted part?
    That's natural, grammatical English and it clearly expresses what you have in mind.

Barque

Tamil
    The British had difficulty reaching India but after conquering Egypt , they had easier access to India.
    I suppose you're referring only to ease of access - the Suez Canal shortened the journey and made it easier to get to India but didn't necessarily make control over India easier. Control and access are different things. The British had gained control over most of India before the canal was constructed.

I'd say construction of he canal, or conquering Egypt, gave Britain easier access to India (the words you used in your explanation).

< Previous | Next >