dribble (round) me (football/soccer)


Senior Member
Russian - Russia
Hello, everybody!

Imagine a kid playing football (soccer), with a ball under his foot, challenging you. How would he tell you to try and get possession of the ball? Which sentences would be correct?
1) Dribble me!
2) Dribble me round!
3) Dribble round me!
4) Dribble past me!
5) Outplay me!
6) Skin me!

Or, maybe, some of them would be more natural if I added "Try and..." in the beginning (like "Try and dribble me!")?
Or, maybe, "I dare you to..." would be better? Like "I dare you to dribble me!"?
What other options do we have here?

I'm sorry for being absolutely incompetent in English football terminology, and, which makes it more difficult, I can't find many good translations in any dictionaries, so I would be very thankfull if you correct any of my mistakes in English, especially in this case.
  • heypresto

    Senior Member
    English - England
    If he is in possession of the ball, you can't dribble it at all. So his challenge is more likely to be for you to take or get the ball off him.

    Having said that, only 3 and 4 of your options work as plausible challenges - if you had the ball. And both would be better with 'Try and . . . '.

    'Dribble me' in any version, is wrong. You dribble the ball, not the other person.

    Where did you see 'skin me'? :confused:


    Senior Member
    Russian - Russia
    Thank you very much, Heypresto!
    I found "Skin" in an Internet dictionary of football phrases, where it was translated into Russian as "dribble past somebody". I found no such meanings in any English-English dictionaries, so I thought it might be football slang or something.

    Would these phrases be OK for a football matched being commented, when someone successfully gets the ball into the other team's goal?
    7) He dribbles round Ronaldinho, dribbles past two other players, kicks at the goal... Goal!
    8) He is dribbling round Ronaldinho, dribbling past two other players, kicking at the goal... Goal!

    What other phrases to express the same idea would work?


    Senior Member
    English - England
    Yes, that's the correct use of 'dribble'. #7 is fine, the present tense works here, but #8 doesn't sound so natural.

    Other ways to say the same thing include 'he takes/runs/manoeuvres the ball . . . '. There are no doubt numerous others, and commentators seem to find or invent different expressions and phrases all the time, in order to avoid repeating 'he dribbles, 'he kicks', 'he runs' etc.

    Try to watch some football matches with English commentary if possible.
    < Previous | Next >