drift forward

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
IdF
French (lower Normandy)
Good evening

Sorry that's me again with that same sentence. I give you the whole sentence (almost) though I don't think it's needed.
I don't understand what "drift forward" means.
Are his eyes bigger, do they look straight before him (but if yes, I still don't quite get it), ..? :confused:

The context: in Vienna in the 1930s certainly but I don't know more.

Many cafés saw this odd trio, the child in the midst wearing heavy lenses that made his eyes drift forward, sitting erect, his neck holding his head at attention, watching his father's coins roll, as the night drew out, farther & farther across the floor & under the feet of the musicians as Felix called for for military music, [...] for Wagner, his monocle dimmed by the heat of the room, perfectly correct & drunk, trying not to look for what he had always sought, the son of a once great house; his eyes either gazing at the ceiling or lowered where his hand, on the table, struck thumb & little finger against the wood in rhythm with the music, as if he were playing only the two important notes of an octave, the low & the high; or nodding his head & smiling at his child, [...] Guido pressing his own hand against his stomach where [...] he could feel the medallion against his flesh, Frau Mann gripping her beer mug firmly, laughing & talking loudly.

Sorry I don't anything more about the child.
Any help very much appreciated. :)

• JamesM

That's a tough one! I'd say that it meant the glasses gave his eyes an appearance of sitting more forward on his face because of the magnification. Why "drifted" is used, though, I don't know.

okey-dokey

English / UK, London
    Good evening

Sorry that's me again with that same sentence. I give you the whole sentence (almost) though I don't think it's needed.
    I don't understand what "drift forward" means.
    Are his eyes bigger, do they look straight before him (but if yes, I still don't quite get it), ..? :confused:

The context: in Vienna in the 1930s certainly but I don't know more.

Many cafés saw this odd trio, the child in the midst wearing heavy lenses that made his eyes drift forward, sitting erect, his neck holding his head at attention, watching his father's coins roll, as the night drew out, farther & farther across the floor & under the feet of the musicians as Felix called for for military music, [...] for Wagner, his monocle dimmed by the heat of the room, perfectly correct & drunk, trying not to look for what he had always sought, the son of a once great house; his eyes either gazing at the ceiling or lowered where his hand, on the table, struck thumb & little finger against the wood in rhythm with the music, as if he were playing only the two important notes of an octave, the low & the high; or nodding his head & smiling at his child, [...] Guido pressing his own hand against his stomach where [...] he could feel the medallion against his flesh, Frau Mann gripping her beer mug firmly, laughing & talking loudly.

Sorry I don't anything more about the child.
    Any help very much appreciated. :)
    When you look at the eyes of someone wearing thick lenses their eyes seem to be nearer than they actually are because the lenses magnify the image for the observer.

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Thank you everyone for your help. :) That's still not 100% clear but I'm beginning to see. I'm sure my eyes drifted forward when I read your answers through my thick glasses (well, sorry for that bad try :p :rolleyes: )

< Previous | Next >