DRILL/DRILLER

• Packard

USA, English
    To the left is a battery powered electric drill. To the right is an "electric drill". The "electric drill" predates the possibility of battery power and is usually just called an electric drill. It is becoming less frequently seen and may one day be referred to as a "line powered electric drill".

When I was in Homedepot the other day they had far more options on battery power than line power for electric drills.

Packard

USA, English
    They manufacture dedicated "screw guns". I think they have a more highly adjustable torque range.

Andygc

British English
    If it is a drill that can also drive screws, it's an "electric drill driver" or "electric drill/driver". If it is solely for driving screws it is an "electric screwdriver".

Packard

USA, English
    If it is a drill that can also drive screws, it's an "electric drill driver" or "electric drill/driver". If it is solely for driving screws it is an "electric screwdriver".
    In American English there seems to be a distinction between "electric screwdrivers" which look long and slender and generally do not have a "pistol grip", and screw guns which resemble electric drills.

This is an electric screwdriver:

This is a screw gun and it has a special chuck:

Andygc

British English
    Those straight drivers are ergonomic disasters, which is why modern cordless screwdrivers look like this

You might notice that Packard's screwdriver has a grip that can be twisted to make it a pistol grip.

Packard

USA, English
    Those straight drivers are ergonomic disasters, which is why modern cordless screwdrivers look like this

You might notice that Packard's screwdriver has a grip that can be twisted to make it a pistol grip.
    I agree. Though once they have a pistol grip I think they become screw guns.

I did prefer the straight barrel versions when I was a picture framer for attaching the hardware to the back of the frame. I used this type of hardware, and I tried both and the straight barrel type was easier to control:

< Previous | Next >