drill into

Wookie

Korea, Korean
They drill into us that the reputation of this hotel is everything.
They drill us into that the reputation of this hotel is everything.

Are both of the sentences grammatically correct? If not, which one is correct?

• Prairiefire

US (Midwest) - English
    I don't know whether the second sentence is grammatically wrong or simply nonsense, and I'm not going to take the time to figure it out.

The first sentence is clear and grammatically correct.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    I'm on Prairiefire's side.
    The original sentence should be like this:
    They drill (that the reputation of this hotel is everything) into us.
    Nevertheless, the object is a bit too long so it's moved to the end of the sentence.

tinlizzy

USA - English
    They drill into us that the reputation of this hotel is everything.
    They drill us into believing that the reputation of this hotel is everything.

Are both of the sentences grammatically correct? If not, which one is correct?

Believing is the only word I thought of that could help that sentence make any sense.

Prairiefire

US (Midwest) - English
    With Tinlizzy's addition, I like the second sentence better now. It solves the problem that QD pointed out.

JamesM

Ditto! Then both of them are acceptible.
    They mean different things, in my opinion.

To drill something into someone is to relentlessly repeat the words until it becomes accepted through repetition. It's almost a type of brainwashing, as in "My mother drilled into me that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

To drill people into something is to have them practice a particular set of steps until they can repeat them perfectly, such as "they drilled us into perfect synchronization." It still sounds a little odd to my ear, though.

One has to do with words, the other with actions.

"Drilled us into beleiving" still doesn't make sense to me. To drill someone, as I said, is to make them repeat a series of actions. How would repeating a series of actions generate belief?

tinlizzy

USA - English
    I was thinking of brainwashing.

Drill us into believing...telling us repeatedly that the reputation of the hotel is very important spurring us to act with the same importance we believe it to be.

JamesM

But "drill us" is not repeating words, it's forcing you to repeat actions. Do you see the difference? "Drill into us" is repeating words until they are adopted by you.

My teacher might drill us on multiplication tables. It means that he has us repeatedly do the multiplication tables until they become second nature. If he "drilled the multiplication tables into us", he would simply repeat them over and over until we could repeat them back without thinking, having learned them simply by hearing them so many times. They are two different kinds of learning.

tinlizzy

USA - English
    I see what you're saying.

I wasn't trying to make the sentences the same, only trying to have the one sentence make sense by inserting the only word I thought would work- believing.

It may not be the same as the other sentence but it did make sense because you thought of brainwashing the same as I did.

It started as - They drill us into that the reputation of this hotel is everything. This sentence is complete nonsense.

I do see what you are saying, but if communication is conveying an idea, then James you read my mind. :)

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    I see what you're saying.

I wasn't trying to make the sentences the same, only trying to have the one sentence make sense by inserting the only word I thought would work- believing.

It may not be the same as the other sentence but it did make sense because you thought of brainwashing the same as I did.

It started as - They drill us into that the reputation of this hotel is everything. This sentence is complete nonsense.

I do see what you are saying, but if communication is conveying an idea, then James you read my mind. :)
    Ditto! tinlizzy.

JamesM

Well, let me try one more time, because I think we are not understanding each other.

"drill into us" ---> somewhat like brainwashing, repeating words until accepted
    "drill us" ---> not at all like brainwashing, repeated *actions* to improve performance

"They drilled us on gun assembly" means that they made us practice the process of assembling a gun over and over until we were proficient at assembling a gun. The speaker was required to perform the actions over and over.

"They drilled into us the importance of gun safety" means that they repeated the importance of gun safety over and over until we were convinced that gun safety was very important. No action is involved, other than listening to them.

"They drilled us into shape" means that we exercised over and over until we were physically fit. "They drilled into us the importance of staying in shape" means that they constantly repeated the importance of staying in shape.

< Previous | Next >