Drive a truck through a loophole

Argos77

Colombia-Español
Four "Drive your Truck through it" Loopholes in Dervatives Reform:

The Logging Loophole: Developed countries want to be able to increase their logging emissions and not account for it. This weakens their overall emission reduction target - whatever countries say their targets are, they will actually be smaller because they are hiding these logging emissions from the accounts. A team of analysists working with me within the Working Group of the Climate Action Network estimate that this loophole is about the size of the total emission reduction targets of the current Kyoto Protocol! It's big (so are logging trucks)!

What does "drive something through a loophole" mean?

Thank you very much!

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    This is a fairly common trope (at least in American English). Google "drive a truck through it" and you'll see what I mean.
    In any case, something you can "drive a truck through" is exceedingly large.
    "Rabin then warned against what he called a "loophole" in what the Americans were offering to Syria, because if there were any loophole, "Hafez al-Assad will drive a truck through it." Link

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    There was a thread recently on 'drive a horse and cart through <something>', but I can't find it. A loophole is a small gap in a law: the law says you can't do X, but the loophole is one exception where in fact you still can do X. A loophole is supposed to be small. But if it's so big that you can drive a truck (or a horse and cart) through it, then it makes the law useless.

Argos77

Colombia-Español
    Hi guys

I've heard this from a podcast:

"...so we have eight points we want to make in our recommendation, the first one is addressing your very concern about people driving a truck through our loophole which is: Feedback really does work 99.9 percent of the time..."

What does "drive a truck through someone/something loophole" mean?

Thank you very much!

tepatria

Canadian English
    A loophole is usually a part of legal language that can be interpreted different ways. This can lead to the law or clause in the contract being used in a way that was not intended. Saying you could drive a truck through the loophole means that the language is easily open to misinterpretation - a really large margin of error - because trucks are big.