" drive downcourt on somebody"

< Previous | Next >

stephent74

Chinese--Beijing
I read followings in a book.

Michael drove downcourt on John Stockton, the Jazz's six-foot-two-inch guard. Michael slammed a towering dunk right over his head. Larry Miller, the owner of the Jazz, was sitting at courtside.

" Why don't you pick on someone your own size?" Miller screamed.

--- I have 2 questions. first, what kind of movement it is that " to drive downcourt on someone" , does''on '' mean towards?

Second, what 's the meaning of the words of Miller? I guess he was shouting out something funny but I can't get it.

"Pick on" often means '' critisize'', but clearly here it just means '' to choose/ pick'' , am I right?

Thanks

• gasman

Canada, English
    Sounds like basketball, and some of the "plays" during a game.

"Pick on" means to attack in some way, verbally or physically.

envie de voyager

english-canadian
    "Why don't you pick on someone your own size" is someting that you say to a bully (a mean child) when he is attacking a smaller child. So, in your scenario, Miller was joking that the larger player was acting like a bully toward the smaller player.

"Driving down court" means "moving quickly towards the opponent's basket" in a basketball game.

stephent74

Chinese--Beijing
    Thanks, but, '' Driving down court'' is not the difficult part for me. I'm not very clear about '' driving down court on John Stockton"

" on'' means what? Michael forwarding, John staying close to him and retreating??

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    Basketball is played on a "court"

To move "down court" is to move towards the opposing team's basket.

Here, when Michael (Jordan, perhaps?) "drove downcourt on John Stockton", it means that Michael moved down the basketball court in a purposeful and aggressive way, heading towards John Stockton.

< Previous | Next >