drives to the bucket

minhduc

vietnamese
Hello
I am reading the novel Close to home by Robert Dugoni. This boy is a basketball player.

He had been balling. Threes and floaters like Steph, drives to the bucket like KD. He’d drained them all, and he’d been playing against guys at least three years
older.

Would you like to tell me the meaning of "drive to the bucket" in this case? Thank you.

• heypresto

English - England
    I'm no expert on basketball, but I would guess that it means running (bouncing the ball on the way) towards the basket.

I can guess what a 'floater' is but I have no idea what a 'three' is. :confused:

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    Thank you. I guess three means three-base hit :confused:
    That's from baseball, and it's called a triple. In basketball, baskets sunk from outside the three-point line earn three points and can be called "threes". The more common baskets from inside the line earn two points.

sdgraham

USA English
    Thank you. I guess three means three-base hit :confused:
    From Wiki:
    The NBA three-point line is 3 ft (0.91 m) from the sideline in a zone starting at the baseline and ending when it crosses the 23.75 ft (7.24 m) arc. The 22 ft (6.70 m) distance exists only at the points on the three-point line that are directly to the left and right of the basket center.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    I'm no expert on basketball, but I would guess that it means running (bouncing the ball on the way) towards the basket.

I can guess what a 'floater' is but I have no idea what a 'three' is. :confused:
    That is exactly my problem of understanding. And I am considering whether I should post a thread about it.;)

< Previous | Next >