droit au travail

jabopa

France - French
Hello,
I'd like to know how I could translate the French phrase "le droit au travail".
The context is a discussion about Human Rights, something like "the fact of being entitled to a job". Could anyone help?
Thanks a lot.

Moderator note: multiple threads merged to create this one

Last edited by a moderator:
  • archijacq

french France
    "Le droit au travail participe à la dignité de l’être humain. Il a été affirmé pour la première fois, en 1848, par la IIe République qui créa, dans cette perspective, des Ateliers nationaux permettant de fournir un travail aux chômeurs. Ce droit au travail a été repris dans le préambule de la constitution de1946 , qui affirme : " Chacun a le devoir de travailler et le droit d’obtenir un emploi ", et par notre constitution actuelle."
    "
    autre suggestion: "right to have a job"

"right to work" est une bonne traduction, mais il existe une ambiguïté par rapport à la législation syndicale:

"A Right to Work law secures the right of employees to decide for themselves whether or not to join or financially support a union"

Larissa2000

English USA
    Hi,

this is a course at ENSAM: DROIT AU TRAVAIL

I'm not sure how to translate it.

WORKPLACE RIGHTS?

Thanks.

Yendred

Français - France
    Generally "droit au travail" means "the right to obtain a job"
    But in the case of a school course, I guess it would rather be "the rights in working places".

Yendred

Français - France
    It seems a bit odd to have a course on workplace rights in an engineering school...

Could this be "Droit du travail" -> Employment (Labor) Laws ??
    "droit au travail" is a bit different from "droit du travail".

• "droit au travail" talks about the application of the (general) laws and rights in the particular scope of work places.
    • "droit du travail", as you said, is about employment laws, that is the relations between an employer and his employee.

Larissa2000

English USA
    "droit au travail" is a bit different from "droit du travail".

• "droit au travail" talks about the application of the (general) laws and rights in the particular scope of work places.
    • "droit du travail", as you said, is about employment laws, that is the relations between an employer and his employee.
    My thought was that if it was Labor Law, they would have put "du travail." Maybe "workplace laws" would have been the best.

Yendred

Français - France
    Maybe "workplace laws" would have been the best.
    Yes, this is it. "Droit sur le lieu de travail" would have been clearer than "Droit au travail" which is ambiguous.
    Now, it would help if we knew the contents of this course. Any detail about it?

Larissa2000

English USA
    Yes, this is it. "Droit sur le lieu de travail" would have been clearer than "Droit au travail" which is ambiguous.
    Now, it would help if we knew the contents of this course. Any detail about it?
    If there is something, it would be in the ENSAM website. I'm satisfied with the answer. Thanks.

bh7

Canada; English
    I support Larissa2000's and Yendred's suggestions, but I'd turn the expression around: "The Law of the Workplace". I recall seeing such course titles but can't cite any examples at the moment.

< Previous | Next >