drop = end a friendship/relationship

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a verb meaning to "end a frienship","to end a relationship that isn't a sexual/romantic one","to end a relationship with your mother, brother, friends, etc".I found the verb "to drop", which I used in the contexts below, could you please check these sentences for me?

==>My best friend dropped me and I still don't know why.
==>The way things are, I'll have to drop my brother.
==>Why did you drop me?
==>She dropped her mother as they were about to kill each other.

Thank you in advance!

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello everyone,

I've been looking for a verb meaning to "end a frienship","to end a relationship that isn't a sexual/romantic one","to end a relationship with your mother, brother, friends, etc".I found the verb "to drop", which I used in the contexts below, could you please check these sentences for me?

==>My best friend dropped me and I still don't know why. :tick:
    ==>The way things are, I'll have to drop my brother. :cross:
    ==>Why did you drop me? :tick:
    ==>She dropped her mother as they were about to kill each other. :cross:

Thank you in advance!
    In my experience, we "drop" friends, and other voluntary relationships. Thus, your first and third sentences seem fine to me.

However, we don't "drop" family members, because those relationships are not voluntary, and cannot be ended in that sense. We are far more likely to say that we "stopped speaking to our mother/brother/sister". Possibly we would say we "cut off" our family.

One phrase that would work with both family and informal relationships is "stop speaking to". I am sure there are others.

ewie

English English
    I completely agree with Cagey, from a British point of view. (And thanks, Cagey, for explaining to me why I only liked 50% of Xavier's examples: We pick up friends and so can equally well drop them. Family members we're just cursed born with:D)

ewie

English English
    If I was given the 'naked' sentence I'll have to cut my brother off, I'd assume it meant "I'll have to change my will so that my brother got nothing".
    That use of cut off (= 'cease to have friendly relations with') seems a bit on the dated side to me, Xavier. Like Cagey, I'd probably say stop talking to ... or no longer have anything to do with ... or, rather more grandly, sever all ties with.

< Previous | Next >