drop of an accelerator

deltor

Spanish
Helicopter video crews wait at the airport for just the right police scanner alert and rotor aloft at the drop of an accelerator.

I'm turning the bold portion in my head and can't seem to find what it means, help is appreciated

• Pelgar

USA English
    Hi deltor,
    To me it seems very poorly written. “At the drop of an accelerator” is a very lightly used term in automobile jargon. It is something you would expect to read in what they used to call a “dime novel.” “At the drop of an accelerator” means they will “give it the fuel, spin the rotors and take off.” It does not fit with any type of aircraft in my way of thinking.

Pelgar

Fantasmagórico

Uruguayan Spanish
    Hi deltor,
    To me it seems very poorly written. “At the drop of an accelerator” is a very lightly used term in automobile jargon. It is something you would expect to read in what they used to call a “dime novel.” “At the drop of an accelerator” means they will “give it the fuel, spin the rotors and take off.” It does not fit with any type of aircraft in my way of thinking.

Pelgar
    I have a question: couldn’t be it possible that the “drop of an accelerator” refers to the automobiles that the police scanner is alerting about?

Pelgar

USA English
    I have a question: couldn’t be possible that the “drop of an accelerator” refers to the automobiles that the police scanner is alerting about?
    Hi Fantasmagórico,
    To me it does not mean that. I cannot say that it could not mean that. It is very unlikely that "the camera crew" is with a police car. The camera crew is much more likely to have their own "police scanner."
    “And rotor aloft at the drop of an accelerator” implies, strongly, that the helicopter accelerates.
    I could be wrong, if so, hopefully someone will correct me!

Pelgar

< Previous | Next >