Dropping Particles

yamada

japan and japanese
Zasshi nado arimashita.
Such a noun(or a noun phrase) without a particle(joshi) is often observed and that only in colloquial usage.
You can drop 'ga(が)', 'wo(を)', 'ni(に)'(locative) and 'e(へ)' as shown in the following examples:
1) a, yuki (ga) futteru. (あ、雪(が)降ってる): Ah, it's snowing.
2) suzuki san, keeki (wo) tabetai?(鈴木さん、ケーキ(を)食べたい?): Mr./Ms. Suzuki, would you like to eat a piece of cake?
3) Tookyoo (ni/he) tsuitara denwa kudasai.(東京(に/へ)着いたら、電話下さい。):When you reach Tokyo, please call me.
But you cannot miss such particles as 'ni(に)(dative)', 'de(で)', 'to(と)', 'kara(から)', 'made(まで)' and 'yori(より)' as follows:
4) ×kono hon wa yamamoto san ageru.(この本は、山本さんあげる。)
  ○kono hon wa yamamoto san ni ageru.(この本は、山本さんにあげる。):I'll give this book to Mr./Ms. Yamamoto.
5) ×kodomotachi wa kouen asondeiru.(子供たちは、公園遊んでいる。)  
○kodomotachi wa kouen de asondeiru.(子供たちは、公園で遊んでいる。): Kids are playing in the park.
6) ×kinou otouto kenka shita.(昨日、弟喧嘩した。)
  ○kinou otouto to kenka shita.(昨日、弟と喧嘩した。):Yesterday, I had a quarrel with my brother.
7) ×asu ryoushin ga Oosaka yattekuru.(明日、両親が、大阪やって来る。)
  ○asu ryoushin ga Oosaka kara yattekuru.(明日、両親が、大阪からやって来る。):Tomorrow my parents are coming from Osaka.
8) ×yamaguchi san wa watashi wo eki okuttekureta.(山口さんは、私を、駅送ってくれた。)
  ○yamaguchi san wa watashi wo eki made okuttekureta.(山口さんは、私を、駅まで送ってくれた。):Mr./Ms. Yamaguchi took me to the station.
9) ×kono hon wa are omoshiroiyo.(この本は、あれ面白いよ。)
  ○kono hon wa are yori omoshiroiyo.(この本は、あれより面白いよ。):This book ist more interesting than that one.

Moderation Note:
This thread is a generalisation of a question asked in this thread.

• musashinojin

Japanese
    Yamadasan,

Meirei style 命令形(sorry,don't know how to say in English) also omitt -wo,-ha,-ga right? For example " Hayaku gohan tabenasai!" or "Tsugi wa anata yarinasai" or "Soko migi magare! ".

yamada

japan and japanese
    You can drop the above-mentioned particles after a noun or a noun phrase in colloquial
    regardless of the mood (indicative(直説法), subjunctive(仮定法) or imperative(命令法)) of a sentence.

< Previous | Next >