drunk on blessing

< Previous | Next >

flyingcat2008

china,chino
We did not expect much from a generation that had spent its middle age examining all the ways it failed to measure up to the one that had come before-all fat, no muscle, less a beacon to the world than a bully, drunk on blessings taken for granted. (Person of the year, from Time by Nancy Gibbs, Rudy Giuliani, Mayor of the New York)

Hi, everyone!

The "drunk" is used to describe "bully", or "such generation"? Then how to understand drunk on blessing? I can't figure the sentence out.

Please help me...

• Copyright

American English
    Drunk doesn't mean bully; it means intoxicated. So they are intoxicated -- and the intoxicant is the blessings that they take for granted.

Another use is "drunk with power" -- I mention this to show that drunk does not have to be with alcohol.

From Collins: drunk: 2. overwhelmed by strong influence or emotion: drunk with joy

flyingcat2008

china,chino
    Ok,I need to say more....

Drunk on blessing , means " The bully drunk on blessing "? The drunk is to modify a bullly? Furthermore, blessing means good wish, so everybody absolutely want to be drunk on blessing...

I wish I could be understood,,,,, :(

Copyright

American English
    You need to break it apart differently:

We did not expect much from a generation that had spent its middle age examining all the ways it failed to measure up to the one that had come before --
    1. all fat, no muscle,
    2. less a beacon to the world than a bully,
    3. drunk on blessings taken for granted.

So those three attributes are typical of the same person/generation, but they are separate descriptions.

When you drink alcohol, the first part of your brain that's affected in your judgement center, so to be "drunk on blessings" means to be intoxicated by divine gifts/favors (comfort, wealth, safety, etc.) to the point that you're not even aware that they are blessings -- you take them for granted, as though they are your due, your right, nothing to be thankful for.

< Previous | Next >