'dry-heat' method of cooking.

longxianchen

chinese
Hi
Here is a passage:
What Is Sauteing?
Sauteing is a dry-heat method of cooking that involves cooking the food over a very high temperature using just a little tiny bit of fat. Saute in French means "to jump" or toss, or something like that - the idea is that stuff is flying around.
What does the words in red mean?
Thanks in advance!!

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    They mean that there is no water used, just a little bit of fat.

Incidentally, I think this is a case where the borrowing from French preserves the e acute, é, to indicate the different pronunciation.

Thus, I would put sautéing, rather than sauteing.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I suspect what's confusing you is the use of "dry" when clearly the heat is being supplied via fat, a substance which is liquid, and therefore in a sense "wet" even though it isn't water. You haven't identified your source, but I'll bet you're looking at cooking instructions on some dubious "how-to" website written by people who are expert neither at English nor at cooking.:(

Toasting and baking are dry-heat methods, frying is not, and sautéing is basically a variety of frying.

london calling

UK English
    Actually, sautéing is a dry-heat cooking method (see this : source 'culinaryarts.about.com') as are both pan frying and stir frying, which also use a small amount of fat (see this : source 'creekstonefarms.org'),;)

In the meantime you might find this page from Wikipedia about sautéing interesting/useful.:)

< Previous | Next >