drying out

SophieD

Senior Member
FRANCE - FRENCH
When the buffalo do wade into the maze of channels that ringfence Duba island, they get entangled and confused and ultimately are forced to return to the waiting lions.
So, what to us may seem a watery paradise is for the buffalo a deadly confinement SHRINKING DURING THE SEASONAL FLOODS BEFORE DRYING OUT TO A FADED SAVANNAH where two great warriors rule...

Does it mean that it shrinks during the rain season and then that it dries during the...dry season and then becomes a faded savannah ?

 
  • Kelly B

    Senior Member
    USA English
    Yes, I think so. That a watery paradise would shrink during the rainy season does not make sense to me, but I do think that this is what the text is saying.
     

    cirrus

    Senior Member
    UK English
    That would be my understanding too. During the wet season it would be a large wetland area. Gradually it gets drier and the size of the wet area reduces.
     

    nycphotography

    Senior Member
    American English
    Yes the confinement of the buffalo would SHRINK during wet season, as the flooding confines them to a smaller area.

    When it dries back out, then the buffalo can range farther
     

    suzi br

    Senior Member
    English / England
    SophieD said:
    When the buffalo do wade into the maze of channels that ringfence Duba island, they get entangled and confused and ultimately are forced to return to the waiting lions.
    So, what to us may seem a watery paradise is for the buffalo a deadly confinement SHRINKING DURING THE SEASONAL FLOODS BEFORE DRYING OUT TO A FADED SAVANNAH where two great warriors rule...

    Does it mean that it shrinks during the rain season and then that it dries during the...dry season and then becomes a faded savannah ?

    I think "it" that shrinks is the deadly confinement? simply because that is the last thing mentioned before the bit about shrinking, so I assuem that is the thing being described .... (ie when it is wet the dry area is smaller) and then the same "it" dries out after the rains and becomes more treacherous to the buffalo

    Basically I think this is an example of a poorly constructed sentence, which is why you find it difficult to understand and we can put two different readings on the text.
     

    DaleC

    Senior Member
    SophieD said:
    When the buffalo do wade into the maze of channels that ringfence Duba island, they get entangled and confused and ultimately are forced to return to the waiting lions.
    So, what to us may seem a watery paradise is for the buffalo a deadly confinement SHRINKING DURING THE SEASONAL FLOODS BEFORE DRYING OUT TO A FADED SAVANNAH where two great warriors rule...

    Does it mean that it shrinks during the rain rainy season and then that it dries during the...dry season and then becomes a faded savannah ?
    I'm forced to wonder how a wet terrain can shrink during a flood season!

    Usage note: rainy season, dry season, wet season, hot season, cold season; but flood season, not "floody" (which "is not a word") nor "flooding".
     

    nycphotography

    Senior Member
    American English
    DaleC said:
    I'm forced to wonder how a wet terrain can shrink during a flood season!

    Easy. The wet TERRAIN is the wet ground which is not yet underwater. As the flood increases, so does the area water covers, taking away from the above water terrain.

    Picture global warming and New York City (hint: we're the buffalo :D )
     

    panjandrum

    Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    nycphotography said:
    Easy. The wet TERRAIN is the wet ground which is not yet underwater. As the flood increases, so does the area water covers, taking away from the above water terrain.

    Picture global warming and New York City (hint: we're the buffalo :D )
    AHA.
    Thanks.
    I had been ignoring this apparent inconsistency - I feel a whole lot better now.

    So this particular bit of attractive terrain shrinks following the heavy rain, then expands again after the rain stops - then shrinks, in the end, as it dries out.

    Strangely, that concept hadn't got into my brain from the initial script.

    Thanks NYC - I'll be able to sleep tonight after all:D
     
    Top