du siehst dir zu viel Werbung an

Jins Park

Korean
Guten Tag !

Du siehst dir zu viel Werbung an.

In the sentence above, what is the 'dir's role? is it like for emphasis of Du?

Vielen dank

• Perseas

In this context, I think so. "dir" implies possibly an effect on the person, who watches too much advertising.
    "sich etwas ansehen" is in German a very common way of expressing that you look at something very carefully, e.g. "sich einen Film/eine Ausstellung ansehen".
    There's also an older relevant thread: ansehen, sich ansehen, sehen

Jins Park

Korean
    In this context, I think so. "dir" implies possibly an effect on the person, who watches too much advertising.
    "sich etwas ansehen" is in German a very common way of expressing that you look at something very carefully, e.g. "sich einen Film/eine Ausstellung ansehen".
    There's also an older relevant thread: ansehen, sich ansehen, sehen
    Ich verstehe!! danke ;)

Schlabberlatz

German - Germany
    Du siehst dir zu viel Werbung an.

In the sentence above, what is the 'dir's role? is it like for emphasis of Du?
    I wouldn’t say so. Look at the other thread:
    Why should the additional dative complement bring about a change in the meaning of the verb here?
    Mir simply denotes the person for whose benefit it is (dativus commodi), to view/inspect/see the apartment. Of course this complement is optional.
    It would be unusual to say "Du siehst zu viel Werbung an", that is it would be unusual to leave out the "dir" in the sentence.

< Previous | Next >