Dual Citizenship

Discussion in 'Cultural Discussions' started by Hockey13, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Rodal

Rodal Senior Member

Seattle WA
    Castellano (Chile)
    If I'm understanding this correctly, someone with dual citizenship (one of which is american citizenship) who lives in Paris, can have dual citizenship while living in Paris until this person moves to the US at which time this person has to relinquish their dual citizenship and just become an american citizen, correct? I wonder if this is something that needs to be noted by immigration to ensure this person is entering the US with an American passport and not exiting the US with a foreign passport that should have been relinquished at the time they were sworn into America citizenship.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  2. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Chicago
    Spanish - Uruguay
    You don't have to give up any other citizenship. It used to be like that, but not anymore. They don't ask for any passport back. I guess they discovered it was useless, because if you give up your 'native' passport, you don't lose more than that passport. You turn around, go to your Consulate and say 'I've lost it', and you get another one.

3. Rodal

Rodal Senior Member

Seattle WA
    Castellano (Chile)
    But wouldn't this be grounds for loosing your american citizenship of you swore to relinquish other nationalities and then you turn around and acquire your old passport back?

4. merquiades

merquiades Senior Member

Lorraine in France
    English (US Northeast)
    There is absolutely no problem with having dual nationality in the US. I know a lot of people who have two or three passports. I do and go back and forth from France to the US often. I just change passports when I go through different customs.

5. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    There used to be a significant problem being a dual citizen with the USA. In 1966 a college friend from Finland (I think it was Finland) with a dual citizenship with the USA didn't want to give up his American citizenship, but he also did not want to be drafted into the military to be sent to Vietnam.

He fretted about it until he made up his mind and then would never mention it again. I never found out what he did.

6. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

Yes, it's changed quite a bit over the past fifty years.

7. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Chicago
    Spanish - Uruguay
    Now, you may have all the nationalities you can acquire... Legally, I mean.

8. 8thnote

8thnote Senior Member

Tennessee, USA
    English-Southern US
    Acquiring nationalities sounds like fun.

9. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Bắc Kinh
    Wu Chinese & Italian
    China doesn't allow dual citizenship so I lost it when I acquired the Italian one.
    On the other I could exploit some loopholes, and I could use two ways:

1. Marry a woman from Hong Kong or Macao.
    2. Acquire the Republic of China (aka Taiwan) nationality.

10. AutumnOwl Senior Member

-
    Swedish
    He can' t have had a Finnish (or Swedish) citizenship, at least not legally, as neither Finland or Sweden allowed dual citizenships until after 2000. I lost my Finnish citizenship when I applied for a Swedish one when I was 18. The laws regarding dual citizenships changed in Sweden 2001 and in 2003 in Finland, and I could apply to get my Finnish citizenship back.

One well-known Swedish hockey player, Ulf Samuelsson, made the mistake to apply for U.S. citizenship, and was kicked out of the Swedish ice-hockey team in the 1998 Olympic Games because of not being a Swedish citizen: Ulf Samuelsson - Wikipedia

11. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

Not so much fun when war breaks out. Also, not a lot of fun when different taxing agencies think they are due taxes on the same income or property.

12. Stoggler

Stoggler Senior Member

Sussex, GBR
    UK English
    Although most countries* in the world have double-taxation treaties (DTAs) so that individuals often don't end up paying twice for the same thing, although they might still have to pay something to each country (depending on the individual treaty and type of tax).

*well, a lot anyway! I don't know the numbers involved though.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  13. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

It looks like the US has tax treaties with 67 out of 196 countries.