Dudley douche bag

Nobu.0

Japanese
Hi!

I was watching Desperate Housewives Season 6 and heard this phrase that I didn't understand.

The context is that Angie, who used to be a member of a terrorist group, escaped from the leader of the group, Patrick, and now living with her husband Nick. But Patrick finds out where Angie is, and starts to attack her and Nick. Patrick broke into her house to look for her pistol and ran over Nick with his car. Here, Patrick says the following:

I've had an exhausting couple of days, what with searching your house for firearms and running down Dudley douche bag.
(http://www.springfieldspringfield.c...p?tv-show=desperate-housewives&episode=s06e21 )​

Patrick hit Nick with a car, so "douche bag" here refers to him. But what does "Dudley" mean? Is this saying something about Nick's character?

Thank you :)

• sdgraham

USA English
    I suspect it's a play on Dudley Do-Right.

From Wikipedia

Dudley Do-Right, ..., is the hero of a segment on The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show which parodied early 20th century melodrama and silent film (by using only a piano as a musical background) in the form of the Northern genre.

Dudley Do-Right is a dim-witted, but conscientious and cheerful Canadian Mountie who is always trying to catch his nemesis Snidely Whiplash, usually succeeding by pure luck.

"Dudley" once was a popular nickname applied disparagingly in various forms.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    It could also be a random name that begins with the same letter as "douche bag."

If I was looking for a stripper named Helen, I might say "I was out all day tracking down Suzie Stripper" in the same way.

(Apologies to anyone named Helen or Suzie, and let me state for the record that I have never spent any time tracking down a stripper. It just popped into my head as an example.)

TheMahiMahi

English - United States
    I don't get it. Suzie begins with the same letter as Stripper, of course, but what's the significance of the name Helen in all this? What would you say if you were looking for a stripper named Mavis?
    I mean, in this example the name of the stripper is irrelevant. We use this alliteration just to be funny, usually because we're trying to make something sound ridiculous. Just like with Dudley Do-Right, if the two words start with the same letter it sounds fake and cartoonish. You know Mickey Mouse of course? Donald Duck? So when somebody says Suzie Stripper it's playing on that old-timey cartoon trope of naming a character with a random first name, and a last name that describes them somehow.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Sure, I understand the alliteration part. I just don't get why Egmont made a point of saying her name was Helen. It would have worked with any name (so long as it doesn't begin with 'S').

What were Mr Mouse's and Mr Ducks real first names, I wonder? :)

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    In the OP sentence, Dudley also seems to be a name chosen at random, purely because it begins with "D". I agree with Egmont that this is quite common. The nickname of a friend of mine was "Dirty Doris" (because of her taste in jokes), even though her name was not Doris.

ewie

English English
    I just don't get why Egmont made a point of saying her name was Helen.
    It was just another name chosen at random. I was out all day tracking down a particular stripper named Helen is low on comedic value.
    (It could be argued that I was out all day tracking down Suzie Stripper is also low on comedic value ... but it's slightly less low ;) )

< Previous | Next >