due in

< Previous | Next >

4faces

Korea
Hi all,

"The report is due in this August."

Do you say "in this August?" (I thought it was just "this August" without any preposition.)

Or does "in" here have something to do with "due", as in "The book is due out next month."? If so, isn't this supposed to be "the report is due out this August"?

Confused.

Thanks in advance.

• MrYeahbut

USA- English
    You could say 'The report is due in August' or 'The report is due this August'

To me, the use of 'in' would imply a more distant time

For a period of time closer to now I would say 'The report is due tomorrow' or 'The report is due this week'

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Less common, but correct, would be simply "is due August."

If it's not due on the first day of August, but sometime between August 1st and September 1st, you might say "during August."

JamesM

There is a situation where "due in" makes sense. If the report has been sent out to some other firm (or some other country), "due in" as a phrasal verb would make sense here.

"The report / is due in / this August." It's due to arrive into the office from some other place this August.

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    At first, what JamesM said made absolutely no sense to me. But now that I've pondered it for several minutes, I understand that "it's due in this August" can mean "it's due in [e.g., it's due to arrive in this library] this August."

By the use of bold, I'm trying to indicate the word you would emphasize when saying this aloud.

< Previous | Next >