duikboot / onderzeeer (submarine)

Noline

the netherlands, Dutch
I came here because I was googling for my question and came here, maybe you guys can help me.
In Dutch we use the word "duikboot" which means "diveboat" not ""duckboat" :) to describe a vessel which travels above water and only dives to attack or avoid attack and the word "onderzeeer" wich means "submarine" for vessels who always travel underwater.
All other languages seem the use the word submarine to describe both.
Anyone know why ?

Cheers
NoLine

• kusurija

Lithuania Czech
    In Czech:
    ponorka (duik[boot])
    - - (onderzeeer; submarine) - we have nothing similar
    batyskaf (not military)

In Lithuanian:
    povandeninis laivas (underwater ship)
    batiskafas (not military)

StefKE

French - Belgium
    I've never heard of such a vessel!
    Nor have I :confused:

In French, I would use sous-marin for both.

Romanian:

- Submarin (most common).
    - Submersibil
    - Batiscaf (a smaller ship, used for exploration).
    We do have the words submersible and bathyscaphe, but they are not often used and I couldn't tell the difference between those two words and sous-marin (though there must be one).

Joannes

Belgian Dutch
    I've never heard of such a vessel!
    According to Wikipedia, this was standard for submarines until the end of WWII, because the airspeed velocity was higher than the waterspeed velocity. :D In 1955 a development called snuiver made it possible for submarines to stay under water for a longer time. As the Dutch marine was the first to use the technique, they made the difference between duikboot and onderzeeër and persist in using it. I don't think any regular speaker of Dutch ever has, though. :rolleyes:

Lysha1989

belgium - dutch
    Duikboot en onderzeeër zijn synoniemen

Meer nog, als je in de Van Dale de uitleg van onderzeeër bekijkt, staat er: duikboot.

mvg

apmoy70

Greek
    Greek:

«Υποβρύχιο» [i.pɔˈvri.çi.ɔ] (neut.) < Classical adv. «ὑπόβρυχα» hŭpóbrukʰă --> under water < preposition & prefix «ὑπό» hŭpó + Classical adj. «βρύχιος, -ος, ον» brúkʰiŏs (masc. & fem.), brúkʰiŏn (neut.) --> deep (of unknown etymology)

< Previous | Next >