Duke of Windsor

ktm

Can anybory explain what is wrong with the Duke of Windsor. Is he a person living know or some centuries ago?

Stuart is reading the newspaper.
---
"Anything?" asked Irene.
"Practically nothing. A new biography of James the Sixth," said Stuart.
"I have no idea," she said, "no idea at all why people continue to write royal biographies. They go on and on. Even about the Duke of Windsor, about whom there was nothing to be said at all, other than to make a diagnosis."

• Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    Can anybory explain what is wrong with the Duke of Windsor. Is he a person living know or some centuries ago?

Stuart is reading the newspaper.
    ---
    "Anything?" asked Irene.
    "Practically nothing. A new biography of James the Sixth," said Stuart.
    "I have no idea," she said, "no idea at all why people continue to write royal biographies. They go on and on. Even about the Duke of Windsor, about whom there was nothing to be said at all, other than to make a diagnosis."

James VI was quite an important king for the first quarter of England's tumultuous 17th century!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_VI

The Duke of Windsor I'm less familiar with (most likely because I'm an American), but here is his Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Windsor

It seems he was rather unimportant in comparison.

suzi br

English / England
    He was VERY important in a romantic sense because he gave up his right to be king for the love of his wife..... The pair of them are (still) often mentioned in the UK media - considering he died over 30 years ago. Her jewellery was especially famous!

I guess the comment in the original text about diagnosis is meant to be a joke, but I don't know what the joke is.

Hockey13

AmEnglish/German
    He was VERY important in a romantic sense because he gave up his right to be king for the love of his wife..... The pair of them are (still) often mentioned in the UK media - considering he died over 30 years ago. Her jewellery was especially famous!

I guess the comment in the original text about diagnosis is meant to be a joke, but I don't know what the joke is.

Maybe it's implying that he is crazy? Perhaps in this context diagnosis = psychoanalysis?

suzi br

English / England
    Thanks, but sadly I dont recognise the author or genre, so I can't add anymore.
    Just one final possiblity then -- people DO tend to be harsh about royalty, and if they aren't hinting at madness (as hockey suggested) the other big "scandal" that royals are accused of is having sexually transmitted diseases!

Iona

English England
    Before the second world war (1936)The Duke of Windsor (the present Queen's uncle ) who was at that time King Edward V111 abdicated leaving his brother George , the present Queen's father ,to become KingGeorge V1(shy and had a stutter)Up until this moment Edward had been a popular character BUT this went pear shaped very quickly and he was 'exiled' abroad. The media encouraged his fall in popularity blaming ... Mrs Simpson ,a divorced American , and his general weakness of character (aided and abetted by Mrs S -) people felt sorry for his brother George who did not want ,and had not been prepared ,to become King.. King Edward was down graded to Duke of Windsor . The impression was that the Duke was weak in character..and a cad(!)the media opinion of her was ... let's say Camilla to the power of ten.
    I suppose the words in the text are rather amusing because it's implying the Duke is ineffectual and also crazy (for having given up the throne AND HIS PEOPLE (gasp)and marrying "the woman I love ") This affair rocked the monarchy ( serial monarch rockers )Many of the British public (the ones that supported the monarchy that is)hated the couple ... and they got a lot of bad press at the time ..it didn't help that they fraternised with Mosley and Hitler .. maybe it was a good thing they fell in love! This was all seventy or so years ago ...
    I don't know the context it was written in ..it sounds rather very post Oscar Wilde (ish) or Evelyn Waugh's mischevious ironic humour because SO much had been written about the business .History in a nutshell is not easy - .. I was not around at the time BUT my parents and grandparents were (Scottish / not pro Duke of Windsor before or after Mrs S ... they did approve of King George though who stayed in London during the blitz)