Dumb as soup

• out2lnch

English-Canada
    As an insult to a person's intellegence, you can say they are as dumb as whatever inanimate object. There are common comparisons, but you can also use anything for comparison, often trying for a humourous effect.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    The one I hear most commonly is "dumb as a post".
    This may be the topic for a separate thread, but I always tended to think it was people conflating "dumb as a..." with "deaf as a post."

Google shows that "deaf as a post" has 35,500 hits while "dumb as a post" has 32,000 hits, so they're both equally as popular at this point anyway, it appears.

This may be the topic for a separate thread, but I always tended to think it was people conflating "dumb as a..." with "deaf as a post."

Google shows that "deaf as a post" has 35,500 hits while "dumb as a post" has 32,000 hits, so they're both equally as popular at this point anyway, it appears.

I don't know if it is conflation; while the hearing faculties of posts may not be good, posts also do not tend to be chatty, either.

ncpenglish

Chinese
    I guess it's from The Big Bang Theory, S1E4:
    Mrs. Cooper: Leonard, the lord never gives us more than we can handle. Thankfully, he blessed me with two other children who are dumb as soup.
    (Mrs. Cooper is Sheldon Cooper's mother; Sheldon is very smart and not easy to handle.)

sound shift

English - England
    Presumably, it means "very dumb." It's not a phrase I'm familiar with; perhaps it's a literal translation of a phrase common in another language.
    I'm not familiar with it either. The German translation would be "dumm wie Suppe", an expression that appears on quite a few German-language websites, so I think there could be something in your literal translation theory.

JamesM

Isn't Mrs. Cooper from Texas? Texans are very inventive with their sayings. I remember this episode, and I remember thinking it was unusual to me but it's not surprising to hear a new saying from a Texan.