dummy pronoun 'it' and impersonal subject 'it'

Julianus

Korean
Hello.

1. a. How long will it take to get it there? b. How long is it going to take him to arrive? c. How long will it take to get to Grandma's house?

Question 1 : In these three sentences, I think that 'it' is used as dummy pronoun 'it' indicating 'to get~', 'to arrive', and 'to get to ~'. am I right?

2, a. How long will it take from here? b. How long is it going to rain today?

Question 2. : In these two sentences, I think that 'it' is used as impersonal subject 'it' not indicating specific word or phrase. am I right?

Qusetion 3. : If I am right, all these sentences are the the same pattern like 'How long+verb+subjective ~' but while 'it' is used as impersonal subject in senteces 2(a,b)

why is 'it' a dummy pronoun in sentences 1(a,b,c)?

Thank you always~.

Last edited:
  • Hermione Golightly

British English
    Hello jullianus
    Your question is probably too hard for me to answer and I'm looking forward to seeing what the grammarians here have to say.
    All the same, I am puzzled by some aspects of your examples.

1. a. How long will it take to get it there?
    The red it might be a typo but if it isn't it must be a regular neuter pronoun replacing an unknown noun object, perhaps 'letter' or 'parcel'.

Otherwise I'd guess they are all dummy pronouns except perhaps for the 'weather' it, but I can't explain why that might be different. I can't see any difference between 2a and 1a,b and c. As I say I am looking forward to seeing 'proper' answers! :)

Hermione

Julianus

Korean
    The red it might be a typo but if it isn't it must be a regular neuter pronoun replacing an unknown noun object, perhaps 'letter' or 'parcel'.
    The red 'it' must be a 'parcel'.

For more understanding. 2 (a) sentence is from the following conversation.

" Is getting to the top difficult? " "Well, the first part is pretty easy. But the second part is more difficult because it involves some rock-climbing."

" How long will it take from here?" "We'll go about an hour. That will complete the first part, which is about 1,000 meters. "

Last edited by a moderator:

Julianus

Korean
    Please answer me~.

3. How much do you think it will cost to fill the tank?

In this sentence, does 'it' indicate 'to fill the tank' or is 'it' a impersonal subect?

< Previous | Next >